Pages - York Region District School Board Approves Balanced 2015-2016 Budget
Loading
Google Translate           
York Region District School Board Approves Balanced 2015-2016 Budget
News Release
6/2/2015
York Region District School Board Approves Balanced 2015-2016 Budget

Aurora, ON – At its June 2 Board meeting, York Region District School Board approved a balanced 2015-2016 budget with a total of $1,353,734,000.

“The Board’s Multi-Year Plan provides a solid foundation for the 2015-2016 budget, which is aligned with our goals and priorities,” said Anna DeBartolo, Chair of the Board of Trustees.

York Region District School Board Trustee and Budget Committee Chair Allan Tam added, “The budget is focused on student achievement and well-being, the delivery of effective and sustainable educational programs and the effective stewardship of Board resources.”

“The budget, developed by the finance department in consultation with York Region District School Board trustees, employees and system partners, reflects decisions made throughout the year,” said Wanda Muirhead-Toporek, Coordinating Superintendent, Business and Chief Financial Officer for York Region District School Board.

“I’m proud of our board’s trustees, staff and partners who have collaborated at length to develop another balanced budget that meets the needs of York Region District School Board students,” said J. Philip Parappally, Director of Education for York Region District School Board.

Highlights of the 2015-2016 budget include:

  • Stable funding will continue to support student achievement and well being.
  • Changes in funding to encourage efficient use of school space for which the board is well positioned.
  • Continuing changes in the funding formula for special education and school board administration.

Quick Facts:

  • York Region District School Board’s budget for 2015-2016 is $1,353,734,000 – an increase of 1.4 per cent from the approved 2014-2015 budget of $1,335,690,000.
  • 94.64 per cent of the budget is allocated for classroom instruction and direct classroom and school operation related expenses, with the remaining 5.36 per cent allocated for governance, administration and student transportation.
  • Budget revenues are derived from Grants for Student Needs from the Province of Ontario, which includes property taxes transferred from the Municipalities, and miscellaneous revenues comprised of tuition fees for international students, rental revenues and other revenues, including interest revenue.
  • The budget will serve an enrolment of over 122,000 pupils (nominal numbers).
  • Two new elementary schools are scheduled to open during the 2015-16 school year.
  • York Region District School Board is the largest employer in the region with over 15,000 staff members.

York Region District School Board is the third largest school district in Ontario with over 122,000 students in 174 elementary schools and 32 secondary schools. York Region students consistently perform above average in provincial testing and the Board is one of the top achievers in Ontario. For more information about the York Region District School Board, please visit our website: www.yrdsb.ca and follow us on Twitter: @YRDSB.

-30-

For further information contact:

Christina Choo-Hum
York Region District School Board
905-727-0022 ext. 2527
christina.choo-hum@yrdsb.ca

 
 
Share |