Pages - York Region District School Board approves balanced 2016-2017 Budget
Loading
Google Translate           
York Region District School Board approves balanced 2016-2017 Budget
News Release
6/7/2016
York Region District School Board approves balanced 2016-2017 Budget

Aurora, ON – At its June 7 Board meeting, York Region District School Board approved a balanced 2016-2017 budget with a total of $1,389,174,000.

“The Trustees’ Multi-Year Plan, aligned with the Board’s goals and priorities, provides a solid foundation for the 2016-2017 budget,” said Anna DeBartolo, Chair of the Board of Trustees.

York Region District School Board Trustee and Budget Committee Chair Allan Tam added, “The budget remains sharply focused on student achievement and well-being, the delivery of effective and sustainable educational programs and the effective stewardship of Board resources.”

“Developed by the finance department in consultation with York Region District School Board trustees, employees and system partners, the budget reflects decisions made throughout the year,” said Wanda Muirhead-Toporek, Coordinating Superintendent, Business and Chief Financial Officer for York Region District School Board.

“It is thanks to the collaboration of our Board’s trustees, staff and partners that YRDSB has been able to develop another balanced budget that meets the needs of York Region District School Board students,” said J. Philip Parappally, Director of Education for York Region District School Board.

Highlights of the 2016-2017 budget include:

  • Funding to support the central labour agreements including increased salary benchmarks and the restoration of salary grid movement.
  • Funding for Library staff, Outdoor Education, Technology Enabled Learning Teacher Contacts, and Managing Information for Student Achievement moved from Education Program Other (EPO) grants into the Grants for Student Needs allowing longer term planning for these initiatives.
  • Continuing changes in the funding formula for special education and school board administration.

Quick Facts:

  • York Region District School Board’s budget for 2016-2017 is $1,389,174,000 – an increase of 2.6 per cent from the approved 2015-2016 budget of $1,353,734,000.
  • 94.47 per cent of the budget is allocated for classroom instruction and direct classroom and school operation related expenses, with the remaining 5.53 per cent allocated for governance, administration and student transportation.
  • Budget revenues are derived from Grants for Student Needs from the Province of Ontario, which includes property taxes transferred from the Municipalities, and miscellaneous revenues comprised of tuition fees for international students, rental revenues and other revenues, including interest revenue.
  • The budget will serve an enrolment of approximately 123,000 pupils (nominal numbers).
  • One new elementary school is scheduled to open during the 2016-17 school year.
  • York Region District School Board is the largest employer in the region with over 15,000 staff members.

York Region District School Board is the third largest school district in Ontario with approximately 123,000 students in 175 elementary schools and 32 secondary schools. York Region students consistently perform above average in provincial testing and the Board is one of the top achievers in Ontario. For more information about the York Region District School Board, please visit our website and follow us on Twitter: @YRDSB.

-30-

For further information contact:

Christina Choo-Hum
York Region District School Board
905-727-0022 ext. 2527
christina.choo-hum@yrdsb.ca

 
 
Share |