Pages - YRDSB allocates over 94 per cent of budget to classroom-related expenses
Loading
Google Translate           
YRDSB allocates over 94 per cent of budget to classroom-related expenses
News Release
6/12/2018
YRDSB allocates over 94 per cent of budget to classroom-related expenses
 
Aurora, ON – At its June 12 Board meeting, York Region District School Board approved a balanced 2018-2019 budget of $1,494,270,000.
 
94.1 per cent of the budget is allocated to classroom instruction and school operations. The remaining balance is allocated to governance, administration and transportation.
 
“This year, we consulted with students, families, staff and community partners to develop a new Multi-Year Strategic Plan,” said Corrie McBain, Chair of the Board. “We are proud to deliver a balanced budget that is aligned with our strategic priorities and reflects the commitments our Board has made to all of our stakeholder groups.”
 
“Developed by the finance department in consultation with York Region District School Board trustees, employees and system partners, the budget reflects decisions made throughout the year,” said Wanda Muirhead-Toporek, Chief Financial Officer for York Region District School Board.
 
York Region District School Board Trustee and Budget Committee Chair Anna DeBartolo added, “The budget provides resources directed to support well-being and mental health, equity and inclusivity, which is clearly outlined in our newly developed Trustees’ Multi-Year Strategic Plan.”
 
“I would like to thank our Board’s Trustees, staff and partners who have worked closely together over the past year to deliver another balanced budget that meets the needs of all students,” said Louise Sirisko, Director of Education for YRDSB.
 
Highlights of the 2018-2019 budget include:

• New funding to address student assessment wait lists.
• Funding for additional mental health workers.
• The addition of guidance teachers in elementary schools to engage in career and pathways planning for Grade 7 and 8 students.
• A continued focus on equity as a priority area through budgets dedicated to, Inclusive Schools and Community Services (ISCS), Office of the Human Rights Commissioner and an Independent Integrity Commissioner.
• Continued funding to support the central labour agreements, including increased salary benchmarks.
• Increase for student transportation and the non-staff portion of the school operations grant, including utilities.
• The implementation of a Cash Management Strategy designed to reduce Provincial borrowing costs by reducing cash flow to boards based on their financial position and investments.
 

Quick Facts:

• 94.1 per cent of the budget is allocated to classroom instruction and school operations, with the remaining 5.9 per cent allocated to governance, administration and transportation.
• York Region District School Board’s budget for 2018-2019 is $1,494,270,000– an increase of 3.3 per cent from the approved 2017-2018 budget of $1,446,369,000.
• Budget revenues are derived from Grants for Student Needs from the Province of Ontario, which includes property taxes transferred from the municipalities, miscellaneous revenues comprised of tuition fees for international students, rental revenues and other revenues, including interest revenue.
• The budget will serve an enrolment of over 124,000 students (nominal numbers).
• One new elementary school is scheduled to open during the 2018-19 school year.
• York Region District School Board is the largest employer in the region with over 15,000 staff members across nine municipalities.
 
York Region District School Board is the third largest school district in Ontario with over 124,000 students in 177 elementary schools and 33 secondary schools. York Region students consistently perform above average in provincial testing and the Board is one of the top achievers in Ontario. For more information about York Region District School Board, please visit the Board website and follow @YRDSB on Twitter.

For further information contact:
Licinio Miguelo
York Region District School Board
905-727-0022, ext. 2340
Licinio.miguelo@yrdsb.ca

 
 
Share |