Google Translate           
Our School 347
Our School


Kleinburg P.S. is named after the historic town of Kleinburg.

Kleinburg Public School is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 school. It is located immediately next to the McMichael Art Gallery. The school serves a very large attendance area found in several diverse pockets.


The original building was constructed in 1955. Over the years, an addition was made to the building. Recently, we have been undergoing many renovations to improve the school facility.

The outdoor is made up of a large playground. There are two play structures for the our students, tarmac games and 2 basketball hoops and one basketball court. There are also three soccer fields. We have added an "Outdoor Classroom" in the yard.

A Brief History of the town of Kleinburg

Kleinburg is comprised of a narrow section of hilly landscape situated between two branches of the Humber river. The historic village is bounded by Highway 27 on the west and Stegman’s Mill Road to the east.

Early Settlement

The settlement of many early villages in Ontario was directly related to the establishment of a local industry. Kleinburg, like many riverside villages developed around the existence of numerous mills.

In 1848, John Nicholas Kline bought 83 acres of Lot 24 in Concession 8, west of Islington Avenue. On this land, John N. Kline built a sawmill and a gristmill. Land plans from 1848 show Lot 24 in Concession 8 divided into smaller, individual, one-quarter acre lots, thus encouraging the establishment of a village core. The Kline mills not only served the local farming community, but became the impetus for a growing commercial center.

Kleinburg has had variations to the spelling of its name: Klineburg and Kleinburg. It is assumed that Kleinburg was named after John N. Kline, however, its present spelling was derived from a combination of two German words: Klein, translating as "little or small" and "berg" meaning "mountain". The name "small mountain" perfectly describes the topography and the environmental setting of Kleinburg.

Growth of Community

By 1860, the community that grew from the establishment of the mills included: a tanner, a tailor, a boot and shoemaker, a carriage maker, a doctor, a saddler and harness maker, an undertaker, two hotels, a church and a school. By 1870, a chemist (druggist), a cabinet maker, an insurance agent, a butcher, a milliner and a tinsmith, were added to the directory of local businessmen. The mills built by John N. Kline were the largest between Toronto and Barrie. Kleinburg also became popular as a resting stop for farmers or merchants on their way to, or from Toronto. The original Humber (Indian) Trail used by the early traders remained the most efficient route to Toronto. The Humber Trail in Vaughan, runs along what is today Islington Avenue and extends down to Dundas Street in the City of Toronto.

Binder Twine Festival

Kleinburg is home to the Binder Twine Festival, held yearly in the month of September. The tradition of the Binder Twine Festival originated with Charles Shaw Jr. who, in the 1890's, began the distribution of binder twine to the local farmers. Binder twine was used to tie together sheaves of wheat. The farmers would purchase from Charles Shaw Jr. their yearly supply of binder twine. Legend states that the Shaws gave their binder twine customers a dinner in appreciation of their business. The modest dinner eventually became a large community festival complete with games, refreshments and entertainment. The Binder Twine Festival was held once a year until 1930 and was subsequently revived in 1967.

McMichael Canadian Art Collection

Directly south of the village core is found the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. Originally the home of Robert and Signe McMichael this 40-acre site and log home called "Tapawingo" was donated to the Province of Ontario by the McMichaels. Since its opening in 1966, the art gallery boasts one of the finest collections of the Canadian "Group of Seven" artists, as well as numerous examples of the artwork of Canada’s Aboriginal peoples. The art gallery also has a small cemetery where the original members of the Group of Seven artists are buried.

Share |
Connect With YRDSB!
York Region District School Board Twitter Feed
York Region District School Board YouTube Channel
York Region District School Board Linkedin
YRDSB Mobile App
Privacy Policy / Copyright / Disclaimer

© York Region District School Board. All Rights Reserved.
60 Wellington Street West, Aurora, ON. L4G 3H2