Google Translate           
Our School 381
Our School
The original one-room schoolhouse, known as Union S.S. #1, Markham and Vaughan, was built in 1847 for $875.  A fire destroyed these premises in 1922 as a new facility was being completed on the present site.  A picture of the original schoolhouse and a wooden name plate with the inscription "District School 1847" survived the fire and is still on display in the school.

As the student population grew, three separate additions were built.  The most recent, completed in 1993, updated the 1953 facility, restoring much of the original charm.

Thornhill Public School Today.
The school crest proudly incorporates the Lamp of Learning, our Mascot the eagle and our Motto, Caring, Learning and Growing.  A community quilt, designed by each family in the 1993/4 school year, proudly hangs in the school library.

The original one-roomed school house of 1847, located at the corner of Jane and Elizabeth, burned down in May 1922.  The new Thornhill P.S. was replaced by a two-storey building which officially opened in 1922.

Additions were placed on the original school in 1952/67/93.
Share |
Connect With YRDSB!
York Region District School Board Twitter Feed
York Region District School Board YouTube Channel
York Region District School Board Linkedin
YRDSB Mobile App
Privacy Policy / Copyright / Disclaimer

© York Region District School Board. All Rights Reserved.
60 Wellington Street West, Aurora, ON. L4G 3H2