Google Translate           
Frequently Asked Questions 430
Frequently Asked Questions
1.    What Summer Programs are available for my child?
After March Break, brochures will be available that outline specific summer programs being offered at Coledale Public School or other York Region schools.  Please check the information display outside the main office.  
2.   How do I register for school if my child is new to Canada?
The York Region District School Board has two Reception Centres to help families and students complete the necessary steps to register and become part of their school community.
The closest location is:
Reception Centre (Markham South)
Kennedy Fields Plaza next to the Markham South Welcome Centre
7220 Kennedy Road, Markham, ON L3R 7P2
Tel: 905-479-0546 | Fax: 905-479-4321
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

For more information, please visit the Reception Centre website.


3.   How do I register my child for Kindergarten 2014-2015
Registration for Kindergarten will begin January 17, 2014.  Please visit the front office of Coledale Public School from 8AM-4PM. 
Please bring original copies of the following documents:
  • Proof of child’s age (Birth Certificate/Passport)
  • Proof of residency  (tax bill, utility bill)
For more information, consult the York Region District School Board Kindergarten website:
4.     How do I register my child for French Immersion?

5.     Where can I get busing information to see if my child is eligible for busing?
Please visit: School Bus City to obtain busing information for your child.
6.     How can I find out if buses are cancelled due to weather?
You can refer to the Student Transportation Services of York Region website
or consult the School Bus City website 
or listen to one of the following radio stations:
640 AM                    CHAY 93.1 FM           NEWS 680 AM          CHIN 1540 AM         
CJEZ 97.3 FM            CJBC 860 AM            CHUM 104.5 FM        CHFI 98.1 FM
CFRB 1010 AM          CKDX 88.5 FM           CKFM 99.9 FM          CHUM 1050 AM        
CBC 99.1 FM             CHIN 100.7 FM         JACK 92.5 FM           Q107 107.1 FM         
Z103.5 FM                CJCL 590 AM            CJKX 89.9 FM           95.9 FM
or watch one of the following television stations:
CFTO TV                     CITY TV                      GLOBAL NEWS          A-CHANNEL  
7.    When is Pizza Lunch or Special Events?
Please refer to the Coledale Public School calendar or the daily schedule to determine when monthly special events are scheduled or the specific time for a daily event.
8.     What is the best time to call a teacher?
Before school – 8:40-8:55AM
Morning Recess – 10:35-11:05AM
Lunch 12:45-1:45PM
After School – after 3:25PM
9.     What are the required documents to register my child at Coledale PS
Please visit the front office at Coledale Public School from 8AM-4PM. 
Bring original copies of the following documents:
  • Proof of Residency (tax bill, utility bill)
  • If renting, please bring a copy of your rental agreement
  • Child’s Birth Certificate
10. We are coming from a Montessori school and believe our child is gifted. What do we do?
a) The York Region District School Board believes that all children should be placed with their age appropriate peers.  The Board does not promote academic acceleration or   grade skipping.
b) In York Region, gifted screening takes place in grade three.  If your child is starting school after grade three, please inform the school and your situation will be considered on an individual basis.     
11. What is the gifted school in our area?
If your child is identified as gifted, according to York Region District School Board criteria, there are three options available:
  • Attend the full-time gifted program at Ashton Meadows Public School
  • Attend the PrIDE Program 1 day per week at H.G. Bernard Public School
  • Attend Coledale Public School full time with an Individual Education Plan
12. I need a letter stating that my child attends Coledale Public School, including dates of attendance, residential address and/or proof of graduation etc. What should I do?

If your child is currently attending Coledale Public School and you have been approached by one of the following agencies:
  • Canada Revenue Agency
  • Immigration and Citizenship Canada
  • Ministry of Community and Social Services
  • International Schools
  • Foreign Governments
and have been asked to produce a letter and/or to provide certified copies of documents attesting to:
  • School enrolment
  • Dates of attendance
  • Residential address
  • Proof of graduation
Then you should visit the main office of Coledale Public School, between the hours of 8AM and 4PM, to request the required documentation.  If approved, the documents will be completed and be ready for you to pick up in 5-7 business days.
13. I do not live in your school attendance area, do you accept transfers?
Transfer request paperwork is to be completed at your home school (the school in your current attendance area).  The home school sends the transfer request to Coledale Public School where it is reviewed.  Acceptance of transfer requests depends on enrolment at any given time.

Share |
Connect With YRDSB!
York Region District School Board Twitter Feed
York Region District School Board YouTube Channel
York Region District School Board Linkedin
YRDSB Mobile App
Privacy Policy / Copyright / Disclaimer

© York Region District School Board. All Rights Reserved.
60 Wellington Street West, Aurora, ON. L4G 3H2